The McBrides

The McBrides

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Preparing for Little Sister

In preparation for baby Girl McBride #2 (no, we still haven't picked a name), we've had to make some plans for rearranging our house.

Since we are not able to move into a bigger house anytime soon, and we've filled the current space to the max, I've had to get a little creative.

We live in a 1300 sq ft., 3 bedroom house.
1st Bedroom, the Master. With a King size bed, dresser and playpen, there is room for absolutely NOTHING else.

2nd Bedroom, Office/sewing/craft/play room. Again, room for NOTHING else.

3rd Bedroom, Miriam's room.
This is where things are changing. This room used to house her crib, dresser/changing table, a small bookshelf and a daybed for the occasional guest (and eventually for Miriam).

With the new baby, the plan is as follows: Have BGM (Baby Girl McBride) sleep in our room in the bassinet for the first few months. Then when we can't stand having a 3rd roommate anymore, if she's still not sleeping through the night, her bassinet will move to the office, where we'll put a table and some things away to make room. Then, once she sleeps through the night, we will attempt to have her and Miriam share a room.
With the addition of another child, we were also going to need another dresser for Miriam's clothes, so the baby can use the changing table drawers. However that room had no space for anything else, so we had to downsize. The daybed went up to the attic and I got lucky enough to get a free (and in good shape) toddler bed from a member of our ward. With a smaller bed, we now had room for another dresser.

Enter my latest project: refinishing an old dresser.
Knowing that we would need this dresser by September, I have been shopping around for a new one. I quickly realized I was too cheap to pay the price for a nice new dresser, so I've been checking Craigslist everyday for the past few months and finally found a great deal. $40, Solid Wood. In great shape with a few very minor dings.
During two days of Miriam's naps, I sanded, primed and painted the dresser and hardware. Don't be deceived by the before picture, the hardware was actually gold colored and worn. The paint job before was a yucky white with a grayish grain.
Now, it's solid white with nickel colored hardware--too bad the pictures don't really do it justice. So gradually we are getting more prepared to welcome BGM into our home. And I must say it's nice to do it the inexpensive route.

Sadly though, now we don't have an excuse to make our annual trip to IKEA.

No comments:

Post a Comment