The McBrides

The McBrides

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Palmyra

  Our first activity on our vacation was to take a trip to Palmyra, New York, about 4 hours away from New Jersey.

We went to the Smith Family Farm and saw a reproduction of a couple of the homes Joseph Smith lived in.


 One of Cace's many funny expressions.



Joseph Smith's childhood home.



You could see the Palmyra temple from the Smith Farm. 

It was hot, but thankfully not as bad as if we had been in Arkansas!

 Speaking of heat, there's no way I would have survived in that heavy dress in the summer.  I think there's a reason I was not born in that time period.

 The original "spice rack."

 Stan appreciated the garden.  Behind it sits the second home the Smiths lived in, I believe built by their brother Alvin before he died.

 The Sacred Grove.  It was very peaceful.



 In the Palmrya Inn where we stayed.  

We went to the Palmyra Ward Sunday morning.  Stan forgot his dress socks.

After church we walked around the Palmyra temple.  
Here's just one of the many times Miriam attempted to run away from us.

One of the very few temples with Stained Glass.  It depicts the Sacred Grove.

 Looking down from Hill Cumorah.  This is where they put on the pageant every year.
 
The monument atop Hill Cumorah.


Miriam walked right up and sat next to three nice German children, as if she had known them her whole life.
Touring the Grandin Print Shop where the Book of Mormon was first printed.


It was really neat to be where the Restoration of the Gospel took place.  I'm so thankful for Joseph Smith and his family and all the sacrifices they made to bring about the Lord's work.  
We are so richly blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment