We have lived in our house for 10 months now.
In that time we have painted almost every room down stairs.
Here are the latest.
The kitchen, Before:
After:
I also sew the valances and we decorated with the flowers and vases above the cabinets. It feels refreshing to me.
The play room, Before:
And after:
I also made the valance and bench seat cushion (Mom, you'd be proud of me sewing again :-)
And the living room, Before:
Boring.
After:
Warm, rich and inviting.
(I'm still working on the picture wall).
It's amazing what a coat of paint and some window treatments will do to a room.
Our new house is also on a much larger lot, but sadly with no trees.
So Stan went to work digging, and we planted three new trees.
Ah. the joy of home ownership, making the improvements you want.
We then had some big plans to finish out our walk-out attic space and make it into a conditioned room.
And the we found mold, and more leaks.
A few months ago we had some leaks. Insurance came and gave a small amount to do some repairs, and so we had the roofer patch it up. He told us at that time that the original roofer had done a really crummy job and we were going to need a new roof, soon. So we started praying for some hail damage.
Instead we just got more leaks. All our plans to do the renovation projects that we wanted came to a halt. We decided it was best to put that money towards the critical need, the roof. Repair jobs on a roof are not cheap and it didn't make sense to keep pouring money into that when we knew the roof needed replaced. And, we hope to be in the house for a long time.
Ah, the grief of home ownership. Paying for improvements you didn't want.
Here's the before:
And during. It's definitely an interesting process to watch. But not enjoyable to be in the house while they pounded away for 2 days straight.
And after. Looks great, huh?
We thought so, until the roofer pointed out some discoloration he noticed after having it all put up (look closely at the right side of this valley and you'll see a large dark spot).
Our roofer was quite upset and immediately got the shingle distributor over to take a look. There were a few very noticeable spots on the front of the house. The rest was less noticeable because it was blended in.
Apparently some of the packages of shingles were "bad."
The manufacturer got involved and some long story about how sometimes the tar and oil in the shingles bleed or something like that and mess up the coloration (I can't remember for sure because the girls were having a I-need-your-full-attention-so-I'm-going-to-scream-while-you're-on-the-phone-moment while I was listening to him talk). But usually with a few months of rain and sun it fades and looks normal. So we're in that waiting stage to see if the sun and rain make it disappear. If not, they'll be paying to have our roof redone.
I kind of hope that he's right and the sun/rain do their job. I don't look forward to two more days of roof pounding and falling shingles.
Meanwhile, any other large home improvement projects will have to wait until next year. Guess I better go find something to sew!
No comments:
Post a Comment