I had another appointment with my orthopedic doctor to check on my leg.
For perspective:
Doc says it looks good, it's growing and filling in like it's supposed to, so he doesn't need to see me anymore. The physical therapy person also said he doesn't need to watch me exercise anymore and also released me.
It's a strange feeling to know that I'm officially on my own to finish out my recovery. I still limp slightly, can't stretch/bend my legs in certain ways, can't kneel down (but can kneel up if I don't move around) and have discomfort going down stairs.
BUT--let's look at how far I've come in 5 weeks since putting weight on my leg:
After 3 days I was done with the aircast boot.
After a little over a week I was completely done with the walker and could (sort-of) walk at my baby shower.
After 2 weeks Dallin was born and I was able to limp around and carry him (yay!)
After 5 weeks I can walk a little faster with only a slight limp and I can sleep (sort of) comfortably on my right side again (double yay!)
Let's not forget to address the swelling. The pregnancy was not helping:
Here's after a busy morning of appointments and not getting a chance to put my feet up (notice the dimple).
After Dallin was born, the swelling in my foot went down considerably. I now have a few more options of shoes I can wear. The ankle and lower shin (where the break is) is still swollen and the Doc said it could be for the next 6-12 months. Ugh.
Here's the side-by-side comparison for perspective:
Soon I will be 6 weeks post-partum and can start working out again and strengthening the leg even more. My goal at maximum is to be able to run the local half-marathon in Spring of 2015, and at minimum be able to run a 5K by then. Guess I better get to work on eliminating that limp so I can begin work on the running thing.
Overall, the worst is definitely over and I will forever be grateful for the ability to walk. I know many are permanently without that ability and I hope to never take that for granted again. I still occasionally do things around the house that are seemingly small and remember how big they once were to me. Like standing at the kitchen sink and doing dishes, walking around the house turning off lights and picking up things off the floor or carrying my water cup around the house with my hands. I am so grateful to walk again.

No comments:
Post a Comment