When I was a kid, every Christmas my mom would make a lot of treats. Things like peanut clusters, turtles, toffee, chocolate covered pretzels and more. She always did great things to make it a special time of year.
Last year my sister Jody and I decided we wanted to make treats like when we were kids, but it was too much work to do alone. This year we continued the tradition of making treats together, and dividing them all up amongst the two of us.
We called each other early in the week, decided on all the recipes we wanted to make, made a shopping list, made trips to a few different grocery stores to gather supplies, and anxiously awaited for Saturday. We got started a little late because I was waiting on a Dish Network technician (that's a LONG story), but finally Stan, Miriam and I made our way over to Jody's house in Pea Ridge.
Jody and I went to work and started mixing, boiling, rolling and dipping sweets. With a few interruptions, and the guys finally leaving (and taking Miriam) to go get a freezer, we were able to buckle down and make....
Oreo truffles, Chocolate Rum Balls, Chocolate truffles, almond toffee bark, caramels, chocolate dipped pretzels, cashew turtles, Sweet Peanut Brittle,white chocolate chex m&M mix, and peanut butter ritz dipped in chocolate! We ran out of time to make the fudge, so Jody was going to do that later. We had a crisis with the caramels and the candy thermometers, but all in all, I think it was a successful treat-making day. Delicious!
*By the way, as a disclaimer, we don't eat ALL of these. We give away gift boxes/baskets to friends and neighbors.
I was exhausted by the end of the day, and so was Miriam.

Last year my sister Jody and I decided we wanted to make treats like when we were kids, but it was too much work to do alone. This year we continued the tradition of making treats together, and dividing them all up amongst the two of us.
We called each other early in the week, decided on all the recipes we wanted to make, made a shopping list, made trips to a few different grocery stores to gather supplies, and anxiously awaited for Saturday. We got started a little late because I was waiting on a Dish Network technician (that's a LONG story), but finally Stan, Miriam and I made our way over to Jody's house in Pea Ridge.
Jody and I went to work and started mixing, boiling, rolling and dipping sweets. With a few interruptions, and the guys finally leaving (and taking Miriam) to go get a freezer, we were able to buckle down and make....
Oreo truffles, Chocolate Rum Balls, Chocolate truffles, almond toffee bark, caramels, chocolate dipped pretzels, cashew turtles, Sweet Peanut Brittle,white chocolate chex m&M mix, and peanut butter ritz dipped in chocolate! We ran out of time to make the fudge, so Jody was going to do that later. We had a crisis with the caramels and the candy thermometers, but all in all, I think it was a successful treat-making day. Delicious!*By the way, as a disclaimer, we don't eat ALL of these. We give away gift boxes/baskets to friends and neighbors.
I was exhausted by the end of the day, and so was Miriam.

So which treat is your favorite?
ReplyDeleteummm...the toffee bark has always been. That's one that my mom made when we were kids and I'd always go sneak some when I could :-)
ReplyDeleteMy goodness, all of that looks delicious! During the holidays, part of me still wishes I were pregnant so I could justify eating as many tasty treats as I wanted with no worry about my figure!!
ReplyDelete