BUT, what about when they cry?
So the big mystery then, is WHY they are crying. First you rule out the basic three causes for crying: hungry, wet or tired. After that, it's anybody's guess.
I'm a fixer. I like to know what is wrong, and fix it. There's an old joke that babies should come with a manual, and certainly there is enough advice and reading material out there on raising babies to make your head spin. But each baby is different, and thus, you are still left to your own common sense to figure things out.
Could it be???
teething
stomachache
overstimulated
colic
diarrhea
head cold
gas
fever
something mother ate being passed through the milk
something baby ate
Miriam had a rash show up the other day.
an allergic reaction to her new lotion, rice cereal, any number of other things?
chicken pox
Our first inclination was chicken pox, since she had been exposed to them by her cousins at Christmas. But they were only on her arms and legs, and not the torso as it is said they most commonly appear.
So we examined her daily.
Day two, spots still there.
So they didn't last the 5-7 days and bubble over like normal chicken pox. Stan and I decided that it must have been something else, possibly an allergic reaction. Then we tell my sister and sister-in-law about it and show them pictures. One says, "no, it definitely wasn't chicken pox." The other says, "I don't know...my friend's baby had chicken pox that only lasted 2 days, so it could be that since she gets your antibodies."
AHHH!!!
Are there really any answers???
I've decided that it's okay to guess if it makes you feel more confident as a parent. It's also okay if she cries, as long as you've done what you can.
I also now understand why doctors so often treat symptoms instead of do a million tests to find a real diagnosis. For example, to find out if it is something the mother is eating, being passed through the milk, that is making baby fussy, you have to give up the culprit food for 2-3 weeks and then reintroduce it later to see if she's fussy again. That, of course, is if nothing else in baby's life is going wrong to make her fussy.
All in all, raising a baby is good for me. It teaches me that I don't always have to have all the answers or know all the causes. Sometimes, I just do what I can and then exercise a little faith that everything will turn out okay.
And you know, it always does. Babies are so durable and recover so quickly. They don't hold a grudge or get offended. They just love you. What more can you ask for?
That last picture is so cute. Hope she's doing better and the rash goes away. Talking from experience, having sensitive skin is not fun.
ReplyDeleteOwen got those when we didn't wash the soap off his skin really well (as in, he can't sit in the soapy bathwater). We also started using aveeno baby soap and that helped too.
ReplyDeleteShe is SOOOO adorable, BTW.