The McBrides

The McBrides

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Life lessons from eating solid food

You know how at different stages of your life, you always seem to hear certain repeated bits of wisdom that is supposed to be really helpful, but really, you've heard it so many times before you begin to tune it out. For example, when you were single everyone always seemed to think you needed comfort while waiting for "Mr. Right", so they would always say, "it will happen when you least expect it."

Or when you say you don't really enjoy watching other people's children, so you're not sure how you would do as a parent and people say, "it's always different when they're your own kids."

Or when you finally have a child, and people give the repeated advice to "enjoy every moment, they grow so fast!"

I've come to realize that the reason people say these things is because they're true! And so what if you've heard it a million times before? It's good advice or wisdom, so why not take it for what it's worth and listen.

The ironic thing is, statements at which I used to inwardly roll my eyes at, I now say to others. I found myself saying to my sister-in-law Meredith just yesterday, "it's different when they're your own" after she spent the afternoon with Miriam while I went out with my sisters to see a movie. Isn't life funny? You don't really appreciate these bits of advice, until you experience it.

And then you tell yourself: "it really is true!"

I really did meet Stan when I least expected it.

It really is different (a better different) when the child is your own.

And I am really learning to enjoy every moment with Miriam, because she really does change every day.

For example, when first introducing your baby to solid foods, people will tell you do it mainly so that they get used to the texture. I thought to myself "well, aren't they also getting a different kind of nourishment?" And then I made my first attempt last week to give Miriam rice cereal, and...well, you can see the results for your self:
I don't think she swallowed a drop of the rice cereal. So I gave it a rest, and tried again today. And now I understand why everyone said in the beginning, you feed them mainly so they'll get used to the texture.
She might have swallowed a drop this time, but most went all over her, me and the chair.

So people do really know what they're talking about...

And of course, how can you not enjoy every moment of this??
Isn't life great?

5 comments:

  1. CUTE!!!! Love all the pictures!

    Ryan was funny when we started him on rice cereal. He made funny faces the first couple bites and then he chowed down and never looked back... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! But sometimes I hate admitting to people that they are right.... pride goeth.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! Looks like Miriam is enjoying the world of (semi) soild food. I love how chunky her cheeks are! She is so adorable! Spencer LOVES to eat, but you can't tell because he is so skinny.

    *here i am thinking, "great, another person in my family who can eat as much as they want without putting on a pound." I swear, I better not be the only "fluffy" member of the Townsend family.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam is adorable. It was fun to see her (and you) in person on New Years. Love this post - it really is true. Life is pretty great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha Ha Kara! You're not fluffy!

    And it was great to see all the Marbles. Thanks for all the comments. We've temporarily given up on the rice cereal for the rest of the week. Miriam is sick with a cold and possibly...chicken pox?? I'll post soon.

    ReplyDelete