The McBrides

The McBrides

Monday, February 7, 2011

More Snow

As a massive snowstorm swept across 2/3 of the country, Arkansas was on the outer edge of this lovely storm, and got above average snowfall amounts (somewhere around 6-8") and freezing cold temperatures to go with it.

The only bright spot in the first day was the sun trying to peek through the clouds.


High winds during Tuesday's storm made for some very cool snow drifts.


It was so cold and the roads so covered in snow that we didn't get out of the house much for a few days. Miriam and I had to take a quick walk down the street to meet the new neighbors who were moving in. I'm sure glad I wasn't moving on such a cold day!

Then by Friday, it snowed again, covering up the back porch and driveway Stan had shoveled. I now have much more sympathy for my Utah relatives who do this all winter long.

Friday afternoon my sister Jody came by to visit after she got off work, so we decided to finally go play in the snow, since the temperatures were a little bit warmer (but still snowing).

Miriam actually had more fun this time than any of our previous outings adventures in the snow.



Everyone watched intently as Stan plowed a path down the hill.

Even Miriam tried a few solo trips down the hill. I'm still not sure if she liked it, but at least she didn't cry.




This day brought back memories of growing up in Missouri and going out into our field to sled down the huge hill. We would spend hours out there, making ramps to catch more air and while trying not to run into ditches or fences (or each other) at the bottom of the run. It's been a long time since I was able to do that. Our small hill in our suburban home is by no means comparable to the one we would ride growing up, but it was the perfect size for Miriam. And convenient too. Just out the back door.

I've had enough snow though. It's pretty and fun to sled in, but I'm done being cold and ready to spend more time outdoors. Unfortunately the weather man is reporting 2-4" of snow this week. This has definitely been an unusually cold and snowy winter for Arkansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment