The McBrides

The McBrides

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Time for a Run

I have loved being able to run again.  Just to clarify, I am not a GOOD runner.  Meaning, I don't win races (or even come close).  Having said that, I have been a distance runner since Junior High.  I ran Track and Field once and Cross Country.  I have run (or probably more accurately jogged) off and on since then for exercise.  When I got pregnant with Eliza, I stopped running because I felt sick.  
So this past January I started running again, 30 minutes a day, 3-4 times a week at the gym.  When I am on a running kick, I like to do a 5K every now and then so that I keep at it and have something to work toward.

So I signed Stan and I up for the Iron Pig Festival 5K.  I recently purchased a double jogging stroller and have been using it when the weather is nice enough.  We packed up the family and headed down to the (very tiny) Fayetteville Executive Airport .

Thankfully the race was on the airplane runway, so there was no elevation change.  That made it easier to push the stroller.  I shamefully admit it felt good to hear people on the sidelines shout "good job Momma!"  We were one of two people with kids in a stroller, and the only double.

Stan hasn't been training, so I went ahead and pushed the stroller since I was used to it.  Even though I beat him at the end, in his defense, all he would need is a few weeks of training and he could run circles around me.
I finished with a time of 31:05, a few minutes faster than when I run at home with the girls.  It's good to have a little competition.


Afterwards we enjoyed a light breakfast.


All except Eliza, who fell asleep during the race and stayed asleep all the way home.

So I must be feeling really ambitious (or maybe just crazy), because I signed up to run a 10K on April 28th and a half-marathon (13 miles) on May 19th.  That will be a first for me, as the farthest I've ever run is 7 miles.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment