Stan and I had decided that we wanted to get a swing set for the girls this Spring.
So of course I started looking on Craigslist.
I found a great deal, it seemed too good to be true.
It was.
A brand new, still in the boxes, swing set for more than half the retail price.
We picked it up, the guy seemed nice. We peeked in both boxes and saw swing set parts.
We were good.
I started doing inventory once I had the boxes at home.
Box 1 of 2, check.
Box 2 of 2--what???
It was the same exact parts!!
Long story short, someone had bought the set online, found the second box a duplicate and returned it. The returned, mislabeled box never got opened and ended up the hands of whomever I bought it from. He claimed ignorance of the mistake, and I kind of believe him (the box didn't look like it had been opened). I wasn't going to hassle him for a return, it's Craigslist after all.
So I got in touch with the manufacturer. Since I wasn't the original owner (darn that whole honesty thing), they wouldn't just correct the problem free of charge. They would charge me a small amount for a replacement box, if we could drive to Pittsburg, KS (1 1/2 hours away) to pick it up.
No problem.
But wait, they can't break a set so they would have to wait around for a box 2 to become available. A return or damaged package, etc. The nice man assured me this was their busiest season and they should have one soon.
So I waited, and called, and checked in almost every week, meanwhile the boxes we had were taking up valuable garage space.
FINALLY 2 months later (this all started back at the end of February), they got our box!!
Stan picked it up and with the first nice weather Saturday, the work began.
Thanks to our good friend Mark MacCabe and my father for helping Stan get it assembled.
I spent the day before sorting the hardware and parts into piles. It was a good thing because Saturday it took them 11 hours start to finish.
(Word of advice, buy a swing set used, already mostly assembled).
But doesn't it look pretty? They really did a great job.
And now for what the real judges thought??
They loved it!!
Front view:
Back view:
Eliza doesn't want to stop swinging and Miriam wants to go out every chance she gets. She also loves to show it to anyone who comes by.
Thanks Daddy for a wonderful Mother's Day gift.
Happy kids=Happy mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment