The McBrides

The McBrides

Monday, November 9, 2009

3rd Semi-annual Hornberger Run/Ride

Saturday at the Pea Ridge Military Park the weather was sunny and a warm 75 degrees. The members of the Hornberger family (and Spicer) stretched and prepared their ipods for the upcoming race.

My sister, Jody, started this twice-a-year race last November as a fun family event to get us all motivated to exercise and enjoy a little friendly competition. There is a 6 mile run, 12 mile bike ride and 1 mile kids' ride. However, the kids' race was canceled this year since they were quarantined with the chicken pox. Since I had been "training" for this run the past several weeks and Stan had not, he got to push Miriam around in her stroller and take pictures of the event. But before you feel too sorry for him, last time we had this race I was pregnant and did the picture-taking while Stan rode the bike race (and won most-improved, by the way).

Here is Jared, Cace, Meredith and Steven coming around on their bikes.



Jared only made it around one lap because of a flat tire and hurt leg (I think it was his leg, or ankle, or something...)

Then the runners came to the finish. The fierce competition each race is between Jody and my brother-in-law Tony. Last time Tony beat Jody, so we were sure she was going to pull ahead this time. And the winner is...

Tony!


And Jody not too far behind :-)

And a few minutes behind Jody was...
Me!
2 1/2 months after major surgery and a baby, I finished the race! Who-hoo!

And pulling up the rear was a close call between Anna & Sara...who will pull ahead?


Sara!
But the real excitement of the day was the end of the biker's race. My very determined sister-in-law Meredith had an asthma attack at the very end, but was determined to finish. Apparently she and her bike toppled over at the finish line. Stan helped her breathe through it and Jeremy doctored her up.
All in all, it was a fun day, ending with a Barbecue back at Jody & Cace's house. Here's how the stats came out...
Run:
1st Place-Tony (absent from the picture to go home to his sick family)
Most improved-Jenny

Bike Ride:
1st Place-Jeremy
Most improved-Meredith



We're all looking forward to another fun race next April--friends are welcome to compete with us!

p.s. As an honest aside, none of the runners improved their time from the last race, so I got the award as a sympathy vote for running this soon after surgery & Miriam :-)

2 comments:

  1. I saw the link to your blog from Emily's - hope you don't care that I'm peeking. I love this family race idea - it's awesome! Nothing like some good friendly competition!! Tell your family "hi!" Freeman and I have a blog if you want to check it out - leave a message or something with your e-mail and I'll send you an invite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course we don't mind that you peek, that's what it's for! :-)
    My email is jennymarie316@yahoo.com
    It's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete