When I started this blog, I did it mostly to keep our long-distance family members updated on the growth and happenings in our young family. After a year, I realized that this blog is a great way to keep a family history, journal and scrapbook of sorts as well. I started publishing my blog into a yearly book for our family's record keeping.
So, sometimes when I post, I do so with the intent of keeping a record or journal more so than something that might actually be of interest to my family members. This post is more so for that intent. There are no pictures (and you'll understand why after you read), and if you have a weak stomach, you may skim on.
Stan and I both looked forward to a vaginal birth this time around for many reasons, but especially for a faster recovery than a c-section. I must say that I was feeling pretty normal and well about 2 weeks after my c-section with Miriam.
However, this time, after my vaginal birth, which is supposed to have a better recovery, I have still felt sore and not back to normal. It has been 5 weeks. Part of that was probably due to my 3rd degree tear (I guess 4th degree is the worst). Part of it, I discovered in the ER on Tuesday.
Bleeding after birth is normal. It can last anywhere from 2-6 (or more) weeks. I guess it makes up for the nine glorious months of not having a period. I have experienced bouts of heaving bleeding and loss of blood clots after Eliza's birth. However, they were not continuous and after a phone conversation with my doctor a few weeks after her birth, and the slowing of the bleeding, I decided it was a normal issue of the uterus not contacting properly and that things would be fine.
After getting back to what I thought was normal, Saturday I had another bout of heavy blood loss. But again, things seemed to go back to normal so I went about my days.
Tuesday, I experienced the worst and longest blood loss yet and finally admitted to Stan that we had better go to the ER. I had blood tests done. Thankfully I was not anemic nor had lost too much blood. However, they still showed levels of the pregnancy hormone. I had a pelvic exam, which showed that my cervix was still slightly open. Finally, I had an ultrasound, which showed the cause of my problems. I still had pieces of the placenta in my uterus. The placenta is what gives nutrients to the baby during pregnancy, and is delivered after the baby is born. Pieces left behind, especially if left unnoticed, can cause serious problems. Thankfully I had not experienced those yet and we resolved the problem with a DNC (where they clean out the uterus). Stan and I got to practice our deep breathing and relaxation exercises as we opted for the non-OR option (and unfortunately for me, I felt it all).
We were released from the ER that evening. The following day I felt tired, weak, feverish and achy. Today I am starting to feel a little better. I meet with my doctor again next week for a follow-up. I hope that all is resolved and that I can now be officially on the road to recovery. I don't make a very good sick person. There is too much to be done for me to sit around all day.
Pregnancy and Postpartum are difficult and sometimes seem like they will last forever. Thankfully they do not last forever and even with all the difficulties we have experienced through all of this, I know that things could have been much worse and am so grateful that through it all, myself and my children have been okay. That is really what is most important after all.
What's that saying..."I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." And it sure is worth it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment