The McBrides

The McBrides

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Continuing Mom's Traditions

I love the Christmas season.  My mother had many traditions for us as children and always made this a very special time for us as kids. So now I try to do the same for my own, especially now that Miriam is getting a little older and can better understand whats going on.

So this year we let her help decorate the tree.  
When we were kids we would always go out to the local tree farm and cut a live tree.  Then we would come home and decorate it as a family.


Daddy flying "super fast" with the tree skirt.

I won't say that it was all smiles and laughs decorating.  For some reason, something that brings out the best also brings out the worst and we had a few mommy and daughter (and mommy and daddy) moments of frustration, but overall, it all turned out well.

Even Eliza enjoyed the festivities and Christmas music.

For a little while at least.  By the way, she has given me my Christmas present early.  What a super sleeper she is, already sleeping through the night!

My mom would always buy or make us special dresses for Christmas.  
I too love getting my girls dolled up in their Christmas dresses.  
This picture is from a month ago because I knew Eliza would outgrow the red dress by now.  

 Here's Eliza's Christmas dress.  I can't believe how much she has already grown!


One of my favorite traditions my mother had was to make Christmas candies and treats. My favorite is the toffee.
The last few years my sister Jody and I have attempted to follow her example in making the treats.  However, since Jody moved to New Jersey this past year, I wasn't sure that I could do it all on my own.  Then my brilliant husband suggested I invite some of my other family members to help make the vast array of sweet confections.  The only willing and able member who volunteered to help was my sister-in-law Meredith.

I think we were pretty successful!

I'm glad to have a new treat-making partner, and so glad I didn't skip it this year.  The treats are SO yummy!

Eliza was such a good observer while we slaved away in the kitchen.

Miriam is also ready to learn about Santa this year (notice her shirt).  Although I'm not sure yet how much I want to hype up Santa Claus.  Why should he get all the credit?

No comments:

Post a Comment