Several years ago they announced that Northwest Arkansas would be the home to a major art museum. We were all excited to see what change and growth the museum would bring to the area.
On November 11, 2011 Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art officially opened. Although it is open, they are still working on some of the landscape and filling the water areas, so here are a few of the "envisioned completion" pictures of the outside. It really is quite spectacular, hidden away in a valley in the middle of our town of about 30,000 people.
We went on a double date with my sister Jody and her husband Cace to visit the museum. I must confess that I really am not a museum person. Usually I prefer to do a quick glancing walk-through and be done.
But this time it was actually really nice to stop and enjoy some of the art. I think I actually prefer Amercian Art, now that I have seen it up close.
Oh sure, some of the art is still really weird if you ask me.
For example, the "Sound Suits."
But then some of it is quite exquisite, like this piece done with tiny pieces of rolled up rafia and other textural items.
Or this painting that depicts the Arctic water as smooth as glass.
One nice thing about going to the museum in person is the size,
and textures that you simply can't enjoy from a photo.
This is made from puzzle pieces.
Look closely. Can you tell what this one is made from?
Yep, those are spools of thread, depicting the Last Supper.
Very cool. That's all I can say.
Then of course there are the more traditional and well-known pieces of American art.
George Washington.
I absolutely love the picturesque landscape paintings.
And there are a LOT of them.
The Arkansas Traveler. I remember teaching my kids in school about this painting when we learned the song.
Some modern art.
Over all it was very enjoyable and I highly recommend it!


No comments:
Post a Comment